script type='text/javascript' src='http://track.mybloglog.com/js/jsserv.php?mblID=2006050210221446' defer='defer'>

Port Tampa

The view from way, way, way, South of Gandy in Tampa, Florida. (So far south you can hear them chasing birds away from the runway at MacDill.)

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Teachable Moments on Fathers Day

Posted from way north of Tampa. So far north we get Canadian TV on cable.

I spent the better part of this afternoon replacing a paddle assembly on one of those impossible to use plastic pedal boats that kids love so much. Things started out easily enough, and removing the broken part was as "self explanatory" as the boat dealer who had the parts said it would be. However, once I had the old pieces off it became quite clear reassembly would require the instant lengthening of my arms by about six inches, or a helper. Luckily, two kids I know happened by on their bikes and were happy to help since I wouldn't let them throw rocks in the yard.

Today my young friends learned that a lock nut has a plastic lining, that you turn things clockwise to tighten, that things go better when you cooperate, that doughnut shaped piece is called a washer, to put tools away in the right places, and that even a kid can be a problem solver and positive actor in the world. Thank you Daddy, for teaching me all that and more. Thanks too to my grandfather, Pop, teacher of stilt walking and pole vaulting. Pop was a big fan of the phrase "he practiced that." A basketball player could make 20 shots in a row, a baseball player hit a homerun, or a pilot break the sound barrier and the comment would always be the same "he practiced that." With one simple phrase, and a million teachable moments, they both taught me to believe in myself. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Oh, and thanks for teaching me to use power tools.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home