script type='text/javascript' src='http://track.mybloglog.com/js/jsserv.php?mblID=2006050210221446' defer='defer'>

Port Tampa

The view from way, way, way, South of Gandy in Tampa, Florida. (So far south you can hear them chasing birds away from the runway at MacDill.)

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

RWF...all the way to Disney

It occured to me that should anyone actually read my full profile, and some posts, I could leave the false impression that I am one of those Bayshore Blvd. runners you see stripped down to a little sports bra and racing shorts. In actuality, I pursue a fitness regime that can best be described as Running While Fat (RWF).

When I left the army I swore I would never run another step unless pursued by a bear, and then I'd only have to be faster than my companions-not the bear. That promise to myself held for 10 years until I woke up one day and decided I would run the 8.15 mile Great Aloha Run in Honolulu 5 months hence. I phoned the husband who was, of course, away from home and asked for some treadmill buying advice. He said he'd do some research and get back to me. "No," I countered. "I am standing in front of some treadmills right now." I hauled one home with absolutely no reason to believe it wouldn't become a very expensive clothes tree. It didn't. I finished the Aloha Run with no problems and went on to complete the Marine Corps Marathon in '01. When you are slow as molasses, have absolutely no natural talent, and carry far too many pounds, training for a marathon is a very time consuming business. However, I do get my money's worth out of race fees just from time spent on the course and am willing to take the plunge again.

The husband has suggested we run the Disney marathon in January. Easy for him, completer of the Honolulu (2x), Berlin, New York, and Marine Corps marathons. The nut has done the JFK 50 miler twice. But the thought of Disney is appealing. I like any course described as "flat and fast." So, the registration is going in the mail this afternoon and I'm posting this. That should be enough to discourage backing out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home